On January 26, 2003, Jimmy Kimmel Live! debuted on ABC and 20 years later, Kimmel will celebrate with a special edition of his late night talk show. It has been 20 years of reliable liberalism, but is has gotten worse in recent years.
While all of the late night comedy hosts are liberal, Kimmel stands out for not just being an activist, but making it bitterly personal. The rise of Donald Trump and the fact that in 2017, Kimmel’s son Billy nearly died as a result of a heart problem, which was around the same time Republicans were contemplating what to do on health care policy have driven him to a different level of nastiness. During that health scare, Kimmel invoked his son to trash Republican plans and became the face of the opposition for the rest of the media.
Kimmel’s perceived self-righteousness and inability to see that Republicans have also had loved ones with health problems led him to launch plenty of personal attacks against Republicans and conservatives in recent years:
- In January 2017, Kimmel tweeted that “put simply, [EPA Administrator nominee] Scott Pruitt is a piece of shit. If you care about the outdoors, stop him.”
- Another one of Kimmel’s signature bits is his long-running feud with Texas Sen. Ted Cruz whom he said in September 2017, “masturbates to pictures of poor people without health care.”
- In October of that same year, Kimmel blamed Republicans for the Las Vegas mass shooting, “they should be praying for God to forgive them for letting the gun lobby run this country because it’s so crazy,”
- A few months later in February 2018, Kimmel addressed Republicans again on the issue of gun control, “if you don’t think we need to do something about it, you’re obviously mentally ill.”
- During the contentious Brett Kavanaugh confirmation hearings in September, Kimmel suggested confirming Kavanaugh in exchange “we get to cut that pesky penis of his off in front of everyone.”
- In February 2021, Kimmel described CPAC as “like Comic-Con for neo-cons and neo-Nazis too.”
- In March 2022, Kimmel beefed again with Cruz, labeling him a “slug of a human being” for asking Ketanji Brown Jackson about the legal definition of a woman.
- Also in March, Kimmel lamented that under Florida’s new education bills, “a teacher can't explain to a second grader that their governor is a dickhead. That kind of language is not allowed anymore. It's up to parents to explain that their governor is a dickhead.”
- In April, Kimmel proclaimed that the reason why Florida passed its “Don’t Say Gay” bill was “to get dumb people excited.”
- After the leaked Dobbs opinion was released in May, Kimmel claimed that the reason somebody is pro-life is because they “can’t get laid.”
- In June, Kimmel called Cruz a “demon” and a “dumbass” for his school safety plan that was meant to appease “NRA-holes.”
No wonder the rest of the liberal media adores him.