UPDATE AT END OF POST: Hilton Thanks Shuster; Shuster Attacks Prejean's Intellect
David Shuster, MSNBC anchor/journalist, now a part-time Biblical scholar?
The former host of the canceled MSNBC show "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue" has gone on an attack campaign against Miss USA runner-up, Miss California Carrie Prejean for her stance on the same-sex marriage issue and her newly formed alliance with the National Organization Marriage (NOM).
- Anchoring until 1pm - highly amused by this ad: http://tinyurl.com/ddhec2
- Not sure Perez Hilton has ever been featured in a political ad. In any case, I think his assessment of Miss USA's logic was accurate.
- If a narrow read of the bible is the last word on "marriage," what about bible based condemnations of cosmetic surgery? NOM = hypocrisy.
- Lev. 19:27 expressly forbids men from getting their hair trimmed; Lev. 11:6-9 states that touching a dead pig makes us unclean. (football?)
- Lev. 19:19 forbids planting two different crops in the same field or wearing two different kinds of thread Penalty? Lev. 24:10-16 death.
- Who's the bigger hypocrite? Texas Governor http://tinyurl.com/cu7sm4 or Miss CA starring in NOM ad http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id...
However, after making those posts attacking Prejean, he went back to "Shuster the Journalist" and inquired about Prejean's positions with CRC Public Relations, the firm representing NOM with the following e-mail:
In your press release today announcing Carrie Prejean's decision to join NOM today as it launches a new ad defending marriage... you wrote:
"Carrie Prejean does not have an opportunistic agenda. She's a young woman of courage who chose truth over the Miss USA tiara."
(1) Did you know Carrie Prejean had cosmetic surgery (breast enhancement) just weeks before the competition?
(2) Why does NOM not consider that "opportunistic?"
(3) What does NOM think of young women choosing "elective" cosmetic surgery?
(4) Does NOM still intend to feature miss Prejean as a spokesperson?
We are doing this segment on msnbc nearly every hour... please respond at your earliest convenience.
Prejean appeared at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. on April 30 to unveil a NOM television ad. She explained her stance and the reason she was speaking out about the issue - not for the sake of opportunism, as Shuster alleged.
"I am not affiliated with any organization," Prejean said. " ... I am not paid for this. I am very passionate about this. I'm speaking my own views, but I do appreciate the many people who stand on front lines to fight for marriage, including the National Organization for Marriage."
Despite Shuster's anti-conservative remarks in this case and others, including his mocking of the Tax Day tea parties, Shuster claims he's independent.
"I have no party, I'm a complete Independent," Shuster told MSNBC "Morning Joe" host Joe Scarborough on Aug. 26, 2008.
****Update: Shuster and Hilton had this exchange, with Shuster praising Hilton for his attack on Prejean: