Looks like ABC News is starting out 2009 with a partisan bang. On its main page, ABC News is hosting a slide show featuring what it is calling the "All Time Dumb Quotes." Now, these are not all strictly political dumb quotes, to be sure. They also have the empty headed Christina Aguilera, that sharp as a tack Jessica Simpson and other denizens of the Hollywood Mensa club among the 16 featured quotes -- and some of them are doozies, too. But, there are six political quotes five by Republicans and one by Tina Fey making fun of a Republican (Palin, naturally), yet there are no "All Time Dumb Quotes" from any Democrats. Not a one. Apparently ABC doesn't think there's ever been a dumb Democrat?
Even more absurdly, all these "dumb quotes" are from the last year or so. Apparently, ABC also is not aware of anything "dumb" that was ever said before contemporary history. Yet, even as all these supposedly "All Time Dumb Quotes" are recent, they have one quote.... just one... from farther back in time than just recently. And guess who it’s from? Amazingly, the ONLY "All Time Dumb Quote" ABC can find from before the year 2008 is a 1988 quote by... drum roll please... Dan Quayle!
Here are the political "All Time Dumb Quotes" that ABC gave us, each with the heading of Did They Really Say That?
- "Maybe 100."
-- Sen. John McCain, in a January 2008 town hall meeting in Derry, N.H., discussing how many years U.S. troops could remain in Iraq.
- "All of them, any of them that have been in front of me over all these years."
-- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, responding to a request by CBS anchor Katie Couric to name the newspapers or magazines she reads, broadcast Oct. 1, 2008.
- "I can see Russia from my house!"
-- Comedian Tina Fey impersonating Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on "Saturday Night Live," broadcast Sept. 13, 2008
- "Too many ob-gyns aren't able to practice their love with women across this country."
-President George W. Bush, Sept. 6, 2004, while discussing malpractice lawsuit reforms
- "I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, 2003, in an interview with radio host Sean Hannerty during the California gubernatorial campaign
- "The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."
- Dan Quayle, Sept. 15, 1988 during a press conference in Moore, Okla., in answer to a question on the Holocaust
Not the most stellar moments, of course. Though, the McCain quote does not really belong there because in context to the subject he was on, there is nothing "dumb" about him stating that we could be in Iraq for 100 years if the Iraqis want us there. After all, we've been in Europe nearly 65 years now after the close of WWII! Why should Iraq necessarily be different?
The rest of the ABC list, as I mentioned, is taken up by Hollywierd's dimmest bulbs. But, five quotes from Republicans out of 16 "All Time Dumb Quotes" without a single Democrat cracking the list? How does that even make sense?
Did ABC some how miss these gems:
- " I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
-- Bill Clinton
- "I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?"
- "My staff tells me not to say this, but I'm going to say it anyway, in the summer because of the heat and high humidity, you could literally smell the tourists coming into the Capitol. It may be descriptive but it's true."
-- Harry Reid, Senate Democrat Majority Leader
- "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."
- "I remember landing under sniper fire"
-- Hillary Clinton
-- Howard Dean
- And... Anything ever said by Joe Biden
And this is just a tiny, tiny list. There are enough stupid Democrat quotes to fill a phone book over the last 10 years alone. Yet, curiously enough, ABC News just couldn't recall any of these quotes.
Shocking, isn't it?
Happy New Year, everyone. I look forward to being with you at least for one more year... that is, as long as the NB staff can put up with me!
(H/T NewsBuster Reader G-Money)
UPDATED by popular demand with Harry Reid's comment about the stinky tourists.