Nothing to See: Nets Spike ‘Disgusting’ Peter Fonda’s Vile Attack on Barron Trump

Nothing to see here. All three networks on Wednesday night and Thursday morning skipped actor Peter Fonda’s vile attack on Donald Trump’s 12-year-old son Barron. Despite nine and a half hours of available air time, ABC, CBS and NBC avoided discussing the celebrity’s ugly threat that Barron be placed in a cage with pedophiles. 

It was left to CNN, of all liberal outlets, to condemn the comments as “vicious” and “disgusting.” Newsroom anchor Poppy Harlow wondered: “Fonda has a movie due to be released tomorrow by Sony Pictures and it has many asking why is he not being treated the same way Rosanne Barr was after her racist rant?” 

 

 

Reliable Sources host Brian Stelter tried to offer a distinction. At the same time, however, he also mocked the “washed up” actor: 

I think the answer has to do with the differences between these two people and their two platforms. Rosanne Barr had almost a million followers on Twitter, one of the biggest stars at the time she posted that racist tweet. This actor, frankly, a washed up actor, best known for films decades ago, he has about 50,000. His movie is due out in five theaters. 

Stelter added that the incident is “yet another reminder that people mouthing off on Twitter, expressing their most private emotions, their most disgusting emotions, can have real world consequences.” 

Here’s a list of the network shows that skipped Fonda’s repulsive remarks: ABC’s World News Tonight and Good Morning America, The CBS Evening News, CBS This Morning, the NBC Nightly News and Today. 

Yet these same networks on Thursday ALL made sure to giddily hype a new Time cover with an altered image of the President indifferent to a crying child. Time magazine hasn’t been relevant in ages. Neither has Fonda. But ABC, CBS and NBC found time for one and not the other.  

A transcript is below. Click “expand” to read more: 

 

CNN Newsroom
6/21/18
10:50
    
CNN Graphic: Outrage After Peter Fonda’s Vicious Tweet About Barron Trump 

POPPY HARLOW: Actor Peter Fonda apologizing after a vicious tweet he made involving the President's young son Barron. Melania’s office contacted the Secret Service after Fonda angrily suggested Barron be put in a cage with pedophiles. Fonda has a movie due to be released tomorrow by Sony Pictures and it has many asking why is he not being treated the same way Rosanne Barr was after her racist rant? Of course, she was fired by ABC after she went after Valerie Jarrett. CNN Senior Media Correspondent and host of Reliable Sources Brian Stelter is here. Look, it's fair question. 

BRIAN STELTER: It is a fair question, but I think the answer has to do with the differences between these two people and their two platforms. Rosanne Barr had almost a million followers on Twitter, one of the biggest stars at the time she posted that racist tweet. This actor, frankly, a washed up actor, best known for films decades ago, he has about 50,000  his movie is due out in five theaters. 

Nevertheless, what he posted was very, very inappropriate. It was condemned, not just by the Trump family but by many others as well. Here's a part of his apology he came out with trying to clear it up later in the day. He said, “Like many Americans I'm very impassioned and distraught over the situation with children being separated at the border.” But, it went on. He said, “I went way too far. I was wrong and I should not have done it. I immediately regretted it and sincerely apologize for what I said and any hurt have caused.” You know, he wanted to rip Barron Trump out of Melania’s arms. It was completely beyond the pail and he did take some responsibility for that.  

HARLOW: And the east wing came out with a statement condemning this as well. 

HARLOW: Yes and saying the Secret Service had been alerted. We don’t know if there’s been any serious follow-up on that. But the Secret Service said it was aware of the tweet. Look, it’s yet another reminder that people mouthing off on Twitter, expressing their most private emotions, their most disgusting emotions, can have real world consequences. So, in the case of Sony Pictures, Donald  Trump Jr. spoke out wondering what the studio would do. Here is what the studio is saying. The short answer is this film that he is in will still be released partly because he only has a small part. The company said “Peter Fonda’s comments are abhorrent, reckless and dangerous and we condemn them. But it is important to that Mr. Fonda plays a very minor role in the film. To yank it out of the theaters would hurt everyone else involved.” Poppy? 

 


Please support NewsBusters today! (a 501c3 non-profit production of the Media Research Center)

DONATE
CyberAlerts ABC CBS NBC CNN Video Donald Trump
Scott Whitlock's picture