A promotional ad from NBCUniversal marking Black History Month, which aired during Monday’s Today show, featured left-wing politicians and protesters but ignored Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and South Carolina Senator Tim Scott. The montage did include footage of late California Senator Shirley Chisholm, former President Barack Obama, Vice President Kamala Harris, and scores of Black Lives Matter protesters.
In addition to prominent politicians, various black celebrities were also featured. NBA star Steph Curry, Saturday Night Live cast member Keenan Thompson, and NBC Sports anchor Mike Tirico, among several others, were shown. The ad was narrated by poet and author Brandon Leake, who declared:
From generations of old who dreamed and fought for our now to the groundbreakers of today who paved the way for our greater tomorrow, black excellence is prevalent wherever your eyes may gaze. Standing on the shoulders of heros, we unite and strive to educate, entertain, and empower our world to embrace its diversity because though we may be different, we can still stand side by side, for together we rise.
If the goal is to celebrate “excellence,” then why not feature Thomas and Scott, two men who rose to the highest levels of government? If the goal is to celebrate “diversity,” why not embrace diversity of thought by featuring conservative figures as well as liberals?
While omitting them from Black History Month, NBC and MSNBC have been happy to trash Thomas and Scott:
- MSNBC & New Yorker Smear Ginni Thomas as ‘Threat’ to SCOTUS
- Chuck Todd Slimes Tim Scott: Is He Wrecking Police Reform by Saying America's Not Racist?
- MSNBC's Tiffany Cross Hits Tim Scott with VILE Commentary
- MSNBC Panel Defends ‘Uncle Tim’ Tag, Says Tim Scott Doesn’t Understand Racism
- MSNBC ‘Shocked,’ ‘Embarrassed’ By ‘Reprehensible’ Tim Scott ‘Pablum’
- MSNBC's Jason Johnson Lumps Clarence Thomas with White Racist Lynchers
- NBC Hopes Charges Against Kavanaugh Stick, Unlike Anita Hill’s