NewsBusters
Published on NewsBusters (http://www.newsbusters.org)

Home > White House Staffer Knew About Gun Running Operation Last Fall

White House Staffer Knew About Gun Running Operation Last Fall

By Fred Lucas | July 27, 2011 | 1:03 PM EDT
Share it Tweet it
0
shares

At least one person in the White House knew about the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives gun-running operation three months before weapons from the botched sting were found at the murder scene of a U.S. Border Patrol agent.

That’s what a high-ranking ATF official told Congress on Tuesday. 

William Newell, the former ATF special agent in charge of the Phoenix field office, told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that he communicated with Kevin O'Reilly, a staffer on President Obama’s National Security Council, about Operation Fast and Furious in September 2010.

By that time, at least one thousand guns straw-purchased in the U.S. had been transferred to Mexican criminals under the noses of ATF officials who intended, but failed, to track them to see where they’d end up.

Read more at CNSNews.com

Guns
Latin America
Crosspost

Source URL: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/fred-lucas/2011/07/27/white-house-staffer-knew-about-gun-running-operation-last-fall