As NewsBusters previously reported, Chris Matthews on Tuesday likened Texas governor Rick Perry to segregationist Bull Connor.
On Fox's "America's Newsroom" Wednesday, Daily Caller editor Tucker Carlson took exception with this (video follows with transcript and commentary):
MARTHA MACCALLUM, HOST: You know, what do you make of, you know, sort of the heat that Rick Perry got for talking about Ben Bernanke that way?
TUCKER CARLSON, DAILY CALLER: Well, it's coming from a couple of different places. It's coming from the Left of course which has also been trying to paint Rick Perry as a racist. Some moron on another cable channel compared him to Bull Connor yesterday, etc., etc. That's predictable.
That predictable "moron" would be Matthews:
Readers are reminded that last month, Carlson said, "Very few people have done more to divide the country than Chris Matthews."
As such, this was just the latest example of the "Hardball" host proving the point.
Here are some more since Carlson made this observation:
- Chris Matthews: News Organizations Are 'Going to Spend Every Nickel They Have' Investigating Rick Perry
- Chris Matthews Thrilled His Regulars Think Perry's Easier for Obama to Attack Than Romney
- Chris Matthews: 'Paul Ryan Stuck His Neck Out and [Obama] Punched His Head Off' Matthews'
- Shameless Smear: Rush Wants to End Integration of Schools and Military
- Chris Matthews: Southern 'Secessionists' Want to 'Kill' Obama...'Politically'
- Chris Matthews: 'Thug' Republicans Are 'Muggers' Who 'Assault' Obama
- Matthews Mars Giffords' Return By Connecting Tea Party and 'Violent Level of the Right-Wing'
- Unhinged Chris Matthews Smears Tea Party Republicans as Baby-Kidnapping 'Terrorists' for Debt Deal
- Chris Matthews Lies About Ronald Reagan as Way to Smear 'Terrorist' Republicans
Add it up, and in the past 30 days, Matthews has made no less than eleven highly divisive comments on the air.
Think Carlson has a point?