In a classic example of liberal hypocrisy, the far-left leaning, George Soros-funded group MoveOn.org has removed its controversial "General Betray Us" ad from its website.
For those that have forgotten, shortly after General David Petraeus issued his report to Congress in September 2007 concerning the condition of the war in Iraq and the success of that March's troop surge, MoveOn placed a full-page ad in the New York Times with the headline, "General Petraeus or General Betray Us?"
This created quite a firestorm with media outlets on both sides of the aisle circling the wagons to either defend or berate both the Times and MoveOn.
Now that President Obama has appointed Petraeus to replace the outgoing Gen. Stanley McChrystal to lead the war effort in Afghanistan, the folks on the far-left that castigated Petraeus when he worked for George W. Bush have to sing a different tune.
It was there the last time Google cache took a screen shot of it (June 18th), so it was scrubbed sometime between then and today. If you try the link now (http://pol.moveon.org/petraeus.htm) it goes to MoveOn's default page.
I guess MoveOn couldn't possibly bash this General now that he's working for Obama.
To give readers an idea of the firestorm this created at the time, here are some NewsBusters articles published after this ad hit:
- CBS and NBC Morning Shows Ignore Dem Embarrassment Over MoveOn Ad
- Parroting MoveOn, Matthews Accuses Bush of 'Betrayal'
- Keith Olbermann Coined General ‘Betray Us’ Not MoveOn
- Senator Hatch Lashes Out at MoveOn and ‘Nutroots’
- MRC's Bozell Slams NYT's MoveOn.org 'Betray Us' Ad Discount
- NYT Shares Plunge While It Deeply Discounts MoveOn's Ad Space
- NYT-MoveOn.org's 'Petraeus -- Betray Us' Ad Cited NYT's Own Reporting Wrongly
- NYT Rejected Advocacy Ads Like MoveOn’s From Conservative Groups
- How Will Media Report Senate Vote Condemning MoveOn’s ‘Betray Us’ Ad?
- Michael Kinsley Defends MoveOn’s ‘Betray Us’ Ad
- Senate Condemnation of MoveOn’s ‘Betray Us’ Ad Receives Mixed Coverage
- NYT's Public Editor Says Paper Made Mistake Running MoveOn’s ‘Betray Us’ Ad
- Russert Lets Hillary Off Hook Concerning MoveOn’s ‘Betray Us’ Ad
- New York Times Admits Discount Rate for Moveon.Org (Blogosphere Roundup)
- NYT Confesses: Mistake to Grant MoveOn.org Deep Discount
With Petraeus now part of the Obama administration, it's going to be fascinating watching all of the media members and outlets that supported MoveOn's ad now backtrack and gush over the General they once despised. Stay tuned.