As we approach our 5th anniversary at NewsBusters, our celebration would not be complete without a recap of our best posts. It was a tough call, but we came up with the top 25, broken down evenly into five categories of five each.
We call it our Five-for-Five.
Each Friday through August 13 we'll publish a Five-for-Five list.We've saved the very best for last: On Monday, August 16, we'll publish the Top Five Outrageous Outbursts.
But we start today with a much lighter note. The first category for Five-for-Five is The Top Five Media Flubs Caught by NewsBusters. (Also check out a short video-cast with NewsBusters bloggers talking about how they caught the flubs.)
In no particular order we remember...:
- ...how CNN's Kyra Phillips was the original Gossip Girl ["Oops! CNN Airs Anchor's Girl Talk Over Bush Speech" August 29, 2006]
- ...why dogs are NOT a liberal journalist's best friend ["Dog Urinates on Katie Couric Ice Scultpture" from December 9, 2005]
- ...how geography clearly wasn't Ann Curry's best subject in school ["NBC's Ann Curry Can't Find Illinois on Map" from February 4, 2008]
- ...how typos can be really inconvenient in the age of Osama Obama ["Oops! During Segment on Bin Laden, CNN Graphic Asks 'Where's Obama?' from January 2, 2007]
...and last but not least, how, if the whole broadcast journalism thing doesn't work for her, NBC's Michelle Kosinski could easily become a shallow-water canoeing instructor ["Up a Creek: Accusing Bush of Video Stunt, 'Today' Gets Caught in Stunt of Its Own" from October 14, 2005].
That video is so priceless, we've included it below:
And now, as promised, our first-round winners in our 5th anniversary T-shirt giveaway.
- Marc M. of Blackwood, N.J.
- Bruce B. of Manchester, Conn.
- Jose D. of Chula Vista, Calif.
- Jon S. of Kirkwood, Mo.
- Paul C. of Saint Ann, Mo.
- Robert S. of Greensboro, Md.
- Joe C. of Jamestown, Ky.
- Marcia R. of Howe, Okla.
- Sharon H. of Metairie, La.
- Stephanie W. of Pittsburg, Kan.
- Kossi D. of Stockbridge, Ga.
- Lois V. of Floyd, Va.
- David K. of Carmel, N.Y.
- George S. of Roseburg, Ore.
- Barbara N. of Warminster, Pa.
- Ronald S. of South Branch, Mich.
- Pam T. of Capristrano Beach, Calif.
- Timm B. of South Elgin, Ill.
- Stuart S. of Decatur, Ga.
- Barbara B. of Florissant, Mo.
- Sharen C. of Philadelphia, Pa.
- Robert P. of Glenn Heights, Texas
- Kathy B. of Lometa, Texas
- Bobby F. of Warner Robins, Ga.
- Gary B. of Auburn, Ind.
We'll announce the winners of round two on next Friday. Click here to sign up for the T-shirt giveaway contest if you haven't already.